Monday, December 13, 2010

Gamma Ray

If anyone wants to hear what it's like to have a Gamma Knife procedure by someone who is slightly overdramatic and exaggerative I will tell you.

They went on and on about pain medication and numbing the exo skeleton, however, pain meds or not--it felt like having someone screw four screws into your skull.

Immediately following the the screws and...head harness (roll eyes when read)...I was wheeled off to recieve a 40 minute MRI which in flashbacks was....the worst...alien abduction/mental institution in the 20's-esque. To top it off I was being tossed around like I was unconscious when I was only unsuccessfully medicated.

After that a CT Scan, followed by my Gamma Ray Laser Treatment.

Now; I had spent the day prior arranging the ultimate Jo's relaxing playlist on my ipod, and corresponding CD, which consisted of;

I'll be your man, Black Keys
Closer, Kings of Leon
Baba O'Reily, The Who
and other musical gems...

I envisioned it being a glorious spa day sailin as high as a kite. My bar was set a little too high when the drugs sucked and the assistant said they could not figure out how to turn my IPOD on. "But we have Pandora!" :)))) "Oh that's....lovely." The only time I'd tried Pandora I'd put in Yeah Yeah Yeah's and 10 Tegan and Sarah songs came up...ick. So rather than having a diva moment where I insisted they bring me my IPOD so that someone smarter than a neurosurgeon could turn it on--I said Flogging Molly. Big Mistake. My spa day was ruined by wanna-be-horribly-live Irish jig alternative tween music. There is a mic in the machine and I was very close to saying, "Please....just turn the music off...this is giving me more anxiety than this torture chamber."

And that was the day. I got screwed and they sent me home without even a IBProfin 800 prescription. While I was looking through my medical bills for 2010 the other day I couldn't help but think how much more fun it would be looking at them if they were put towards the best boob job of all time. Or even better...a vacation.

3 comments:

  1. I hope this helps with your post-traumatic stress!! You are too, too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it didn't sound like the most pleasant experience I can't help but laugh. You're just so funny. I can totally picture you telling this story and it makes me smile. I hope the procedure helped and I'm glad you have this blog to keep us filled in. Pandora has its moments but seriously... how could they not get your ipod to work? And these people had how much schooling? Amazing. Hope you're doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jonna. So sorry to see you go through this again. You are in our prayers. You are a strong girl and will get through this. You have a great mom that will be there for you and a wonderful family. Keep us informed through your blog of how you are doing.
    Love ya,
    Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete